Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Eleven Years Later - 9/11/01


I began my journey into the IT world in 1999. From the beginning I had my sights set on Information Security. In 2000 I was working for an IT services company and found myself encouraging my employer and our customers to consider information security and business continuity initiatives.

On September 11, 2001, I began my work day in an unusual way – in front of a television. Our entire staff stood transfixed in horror in front of the little training TV as we watched a plane hit the second tower of the World Trade Center, and as both towers collapsed. At that moment, I realized the importance of my work in Business Continuity and disaster preparation.


Here we are, eleven years later.


Since 9/11 we’ve seen floods, hurricanes, tornado outbreaks and earthquakes ruin hundreds of small businesses that never stood a chance because they didn’t have a plan. The small business owner is the backbone of the United States. Don’t let the big guys fool you – many of them depend on many of you as their suppliers. Without you, they wouldn’t make it either.

This is where I can make a difference. I can bring my knowledge to small businesses and non-profits. I can help them stay viable in the face of adversity. Though the work I do couldn’t keep terrorists from attacking, I know that what I do can keep a business from being so devastated by disaster that it couldn’t recover. I can (and do) help small businesses and non-profits prepare for adversity.

I completed a Masters in Information Security in 2010. My thesis was a case study of building a business continuity plan for a mid-sized non-profit. I maintain the business continuity plan for that organization. I’m currently writing a basic how-to book for small business owners. Keep an eye out for it – I plan to have it ready for e-publication by the end of this year. And stay tuned for new information.

Together we can keep your business running, no matter what the world throws your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment